The last time I checked my blog I was still in the hospital, I think it’s time for an update.

So let’s go back to August, in my last post I mentioned possibly going home and I did! I went home for a week and then ended back in the hospital because baby A’s fluids were very low. I stayed in the hospital for the remainder of my pregnancy, which means I was in the hospital for 105 days total, can you believe that?! 105 days I was a prisoner to a very small, uncomfortable hospital bed. Was it worth it? HECK YES! Because on October 10, 2013 at 2:32 p.m. (and 2:34 p.m.) I gave birth to TWO beautiful, healthy, very strong little girl’s. I delivered at 36 weeks and 6 days. It was the most amazing day of my life. I remember my doctor coming into my room just minutes before being whisked away and asking me, “can you believe it’s finally here?! You did it Crystal!” I started crying instantly, I actually almost had a melt down, all of my emotions from the last 105 days just came rushing over me. We started off our stay in the hospital not knowing if the girls would even make it, to being delivered one day before our scheduled c-section date.

Recovery was rough, come to find out I had severe preeclampsia! The preeclampsia didn’t surprise me one bit, I kept hinting to my doctor’s I thought I had it but no one was concerned. Finally, a day before delivery they (they meaning, my very concerned nurse) ordered a 24 hour urine test, the results were crazy high! My protein was up in the 6,000!! So not only did I have to recover from a c-section, three months on bed rest but I was also recovering from severe preeclampsia. I was one swollen pregnant before delivery and the swelling only got worse after. I could barely do anything in the hospital, my husband did all of the diaper changes, the nurses had to hold my breasts to help breastfeed the babies, I was SO weak. Yet again, I was faced with the fact that it was all out of my control. I really struggled with the fact that I was unable to change my daughter’s first few diapers, we didn’t get the snuggle time like I wished for, my body was just too weak.

We were only in the hospital for FOUR days, pretty exciting right? considering the girl’s were born three weeks early. No NICU! Thank goodness, because I don’t know how I would have functioned if I had to travel back and forth between the hospital and home.

Since being home, the girl’s have been amazing babies! The newborn stage was definitely a lot of work with twins, but we got through it. I think we handled it pretty darn well, we have kept the girls on the same schedule and we’ve managed to keep our sanity. They are now three months old and sleeping 7 to 8+ hours a night. I am exclusively pumping, my dream of exclusively breastfeeding went out the window pretty quickly but I’m ok with it. Currently I am enjoying being a stay at home mom to these two sweeties, we’re not exactly sure if I’ll be returning to work or not this summer. So in the meantime, I am soaking up every minute I get with them.





One thought on “

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s